About El Mundo En Español Spanish School
Our Mission | School History | Why Choose El Mundo en Español
El Mundo en Español is a small school in a quiet residential area less then ten minutes walking distance from " Parque Central", the cultural center of Xela with its internet cafes, bars, restaurants, museums and other diversions.
All our teachers are “de planta”, seasoned professionals with good reputations, offering students a top-notch learning experience.
Gladis Castillo, the schools director, along with the other teachers
at the school have many years of experience teaching Spanish as a second language.
- To provide the highest quality Spanish instruction in Xela. To accomplish this we employ a select group of experienced teachers, chosen for the quality of their teaching as well as their ability to work with students.
- To give students a total immersion experience in Guatemalan culture, while staying in my home and living and learning in an warm and welcoming, extended-family environment. This creates unmatched opportunities to learn Spanish unique to the structure of our school.
- We believe that participating in a cultural exchange can be an opportunity to come to understand other cultures, increase communication across national boundaries, and allow people to come to understand the similarities that tie us together while gaining new perspectives.
- We dedicate ourselves to offering every participant the possibility of making new friends and coming to understand and appreciate the world outside their own country’s borders while living as a resident in Xela, Guatemala.
We hope that our work in furthering these goals will contribute in some small measure to greater peace and understanding in the world.
THE SCHOOL'S HISTORY
In January of 2001 my family and I took the initiative to start a small Spanish school. We wanted to create a place where students could not only learn the language, but also have a more profound experience: to speak in Spanish, get to know the culture and way of life, learn about Guatemala’s political history, volunteer, and have fun.
How could such a school be created? The work was difficult; the site of our future school was totally uninhabitable... but after three months, with my younger brother's help and that of many friends (special thanks to our friend Michael Mc. Grady), we made it happen.
We not only had the opportunity to open the school but also start immediately with an occupational therapy program for the women of EDELAC (School of the street). The EDELAC program has since ended, but we have continued our commitment to service projects.
Currently, we are working directly with the children's recreation and care center in an outlying community called Canton Choqui.
This center is one of a variety of programs belonging to an organization that helps women who are victims of domestic violence.
My motivation to work with the children and the women of the center is thanks to my dear and memorable friend, Mariuccia, from Holland.
Our school is small and Spanish classes are given in my own home. and because of this we are able to offer students unmatched opportunities that not only will help you become proficient in the Spanish language more quickly, it also allows for a more complete, holistic experience as well.
WHY CHOOSE EL MUNDO EN ESPAÑOL?
Our spanish school is unique in that teaching and learning of of the language is integrated into the home life. Our family welcomes students as a part of our extended family and we enjoy .....
Here at El Mundo en Espanol not only will you learn to speak Spanish during class hours, you will also become a part of the daily life of a typical Guatemalan family, where daily activities such as: food preparation, enjoying delicious meals, after dinner conversations, trips to the market etc., are experienced in Spanish and serve to reinforce the learning process. This method of learning guarantees a more complete approach to learning the Spanish language, while at the same you will become familiar with our culture, customs and our way of living.
Also we strive very hard to get interested students connected with NGO'S. We think that making friends with "locals" is one of the best ways to improve your language skills and make your experience in Xela a unique and memorable one. By volunteering your time and effort, you will be exposed to a broader cross section of life in Guatemala - Something you'll never forget!
20 hours of just classes - Weekly $130.00 US Dollars
25 hours of just classes - Weekly $150.00 US Dollars
20 hours of classes + Homestay - Weekly $170.00 US Dollars
25 hours of classes + Homestay - Weekly $190.00 US Dollars
* Homestay prices includes Breakfast Lunch & Dinner - 7 days a week and
Free Inernet use.
See Register to find out more on how to enroll for classes.
We think that learning Spanish should be a fun and
enriching experience, no matter what your age ....
- Enjoy Learning Spanish at El Mundo En Español -
8 Avenida Calle B, A-61 - Zona 1 - Quetzaltenango, Guatemala